Friday, December 05, 2008

Inspired By #3

This piece was made by smoothing a thin layer of fresh clay over an inverted mixing bowl which I had covered in scrunched up paper to allow the drying clay to move when shrinking, preventing cracks.
I wanted to make a smooth rounded shape reminiscent of Christine's curves. I suppose that this could be a large buttock but I will leave the analysis to the viewer.
The red glaze is a simple paint job while the inside cabbage effect glaze in blue, green and white was done by diluting the glazes with water, mixing azures, greens, reds and sand colour and then allowing the watery glaze to drip around the contours of the bowl. I would allow some glaze to run in from the lip of the bowl, then pick it and rotate it in the air to get the colours into different nooks and crannies. I am quite pleased with the effect and it has given me further ideas for more works made in a similar way.

No comments: