Thursday, June 21, 2007

Face Casts

I touched up a couple of holes in the original cast: it's important to wet the mould first so that it doesn't suck all the moisture from any new plaster applied and cause the new to fail to bind with the old plaster. I think it looks pretty good now.



























Then although the algernate was breaking up a bit (note the fissure lines and the squashed nose) I managed to put it back together and make a second cast. Interesting effects.



























A third cast was made a week later from the remaining algernate bits that could still be used - see these "pieces of me". Remember to paste wet plaster onto the algernate first and then add scrim to strengthen, pasting that in with more wet plaster. The algernate was much harder after a week and more difficult to take off the plaster cast - see the bits of blue still stuck on these pieces.
















The plaster masks created to hold the algernate on the face as it dried are actually quite interesting in themselves. They remind me of tribal masks from New Guinea. Perhaps I will decorate them as such.




No comments: