Monday, October 02, 2006

Week 1: Experimentation


In the first week I experimented by just making things with any of the materials that Paul gave me to try out - mainly wire, waxes and clay. I seem to be into spirals right now. This armature wire has a really nice feel to it and is easy to bend and form.

Then I made something of a similar shape in clay which was later fired in the kiln. It broke but I stuck it back together using milliput, a strong moulding clay and adhesive.

I tried these three different waxes. White is candle wax, the others are harder waxes although the yellow is softer than the black. The yellow wax is stained by the clay I still had on my fingers - is this croissant edible?







and how about melting some wax and making a shape or dipping your spiral in it? Hmm the Turner Prize may have to wait but it's all a process ...
Oh I just love playing with bits of wire it seems

No comments: